The 20- or 40-hour Practicum can be added to any of CESL’s TEFL Certificate programs or taken alone as an independent component. The Practicum combines classroom observations, debriefings, assistant teaching and feedback with a CESL faculty member. It is intended to provide trainees with hands-on and authentic experience in the ESL classroom and to connect previous teacher training with classroom application and implementation. This program is offered year-round.
Pre-requisites: 50-hour TEFL 2 or 100-hour Intensive TEFL Certificate, teaching experience or coordinator consent.
- 20-hour: $410 tuition + $30 application fee + $20 technology fee
- 40-hour: $820 tuition + $30 application fee + $20 technology fee
All applicants should:
- Have at least an Associate of Arts degree or international equivalent or 2 years of college-level coursework completed.
- Have access to a reliable internet connection.
- Students with a degree in Applied Linguistics/English, TESOL, TEFL or related fields will be reviewed for appropriate placement and may be counseled out of CESL.
On successful completion of the TEFL Practicum, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate integration of theory, methodology, and assessment into teaching practice
- Develop clear teaching goals and objectives for specific lesson plans, a minimum of three executed as a teacher or teaching assistant alongside a mentor teacher
- Write effective and methodologically sound lesson plans with warm-up, teaching, and closing activities
- Demonstrate a professional and culturally sensitive demeanor as appropriate throughout the TEFL program as observed daily and reflected in dress and behavior with teachers and students
- Synthesize theoretical and methodological terms and concepts with classroom practice
- Reflect upon a teaching practice that begins with a lesson plan, the execution of a lesson plan, and proposes changes for future lesson plans
If you need assistance with the application, please contact us at email@example.com or (520) 621-3637.