Professional Development Courses
We currently offer Professional Development courses online only. Applicants need to have a teaching license or TESOL/TEFL certificate and be currently teaching or have recently taught ESL/EFL classes in order to enroll.
Classroom Assessment for Language Teaching (CALT) Series
CESL Teacher Training Program has recently developed a series of new classroom assessment courses to improve the assessment competence of in-service language teachers. It is recognized in the language teaching profession that there is an urgent need for the training of teachers in effective assessment practices. The Classroom Assessment for Language Teaching (CALT) series was designed specifically to meet that need. The CALT Courses Series is comprised of four courses exploring different elements of classroom assessment for language teaching. These standalone courses may be taken individually, or collectively as a series. Upon completion of a course, participants will be awarded a 30-hour course certificate. Upon completion of all four courses, participants will be awarded a 120-hour certificate in Language Assessment Literacy. All CALT courses are six weeks long and delivered via the University of Arizona D2L platform.
This series is ideal for: (i) individual teachers wishing to become more assessment literate and better able to assess their courses and students; (ii) assessment coordinators or administrators with assessment responsibilities; and (iii) for ESL/EFL programs interested in funding professional development to improve the assessment literacy of their teaching/administrative staff.
30-hour CALT 1: Fundamentals of Language Assessment
- Topics: Assessment literacy, terminology and principles, test purposes and types, test design, and best practices.
- Dates: Spring I, 2018: January 16th – February 23rd, 2018 (Application deadline Sunday, January 8th)
30-hour CALT 2: Assessing Language Skills
- Topics: Assessing listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar and vocabulary.
- Dates: Spring II, 2018: March 19th – April 27th, 2018 (Application deadline Sunday, March 11th)
30-hour CALT 3: Grading and Student Evaluation
- Topics: Grading purposes, raters and rubrics, types of rubrics, providing feedback and summative assessments.
- Dates: Fall I, 2018: August 20th – October 12th, 2018 (Application deadline Sunday, August 12th)
30-hour CALT 4: Administering and Planning Assessment
- Topics: Administering assessments, technology, placement testing, cheating, and language teacher education.
- Dates: Fall II, 2018: October 15th – December 7th, 2018 (Application deadline Sunday, October 8th)
All applicants should:
- Have a teaching license or TESOL/TEFL certificate, and be currently teaching or have recently taught ESL/EFL classes.
- Have access to a reliable internet connection.
- To be accepted into any Teacher Training Program, applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate very independent English proficiency (B2 or higher according to the Common European Framework of Reference [CEFR]).
$295 tuition + $30 application fee + $20 technology fee
- A 10% discount on tuition applies for all UA Affiliates and those who pay in full 5 weeks before the beginning of classes.
* All classes are noncredit.
** Successful completion of any online class results in a 30-hour certificate. These certificate hours are based on the number of hours in contact with the online course site and do not reflect the full amount of hours needed to complete the course.