If you need assistance with the application please contact CESL Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-520-621-3637.
The Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) at the University of Arizona offers English courses to the Tucson community.
CESL's Part Time Community Program is effective because it provides quality instruction through highly trained instructors in small classes which promotes close teaching-learning relationships between students and their teachers. Ours is the Arizona's only part-time community program fully accredited by CEA, the Commission on English Language Accreditation. Our continued commitment to high-quality ESL instruction sets us apart from other part-time language programs.
Steps for enrollment:
1. Analyze course offerings and session dates:
Our Fall and Spring part time community classes are offered for two hours beginning at 8:40 a.m., 3:10 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., two times per week (Mondays & Wednesdays or Tuesdays & Thursdays) for a total of 30 hours of instruction per class. Regular sessions start in January, March, August, and October of each year. Our Summer program offers two hour classes at 3:00 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. (Mondays & Wednesdays or Tuesdays & Thursdays). You may enroll in no more than 3 classes per session. See see this page for possible course combinations: Course Descriptions .
Our next session is Summer 2018 , which will be offered from June 11th to August 3rd, 2018. For more information about the courses we will offer, please see our: Course Descriptions. After the Summer session, we will have the Fall I 2018 session, which will be offered from August 20th to October 11th, 2018.
2. Apply and Pay:
How to apply:
- You can apply online or print out and fill the Part-Time Application. Bring it to CESL Admissions Office, room 101, Monday through Friday between 8:00 and 5:00. (Map)
- Bring proof that you have received two Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccines, if you were born after 1956. If you were born in 1956 and before, you will not need to provide proof.
- Pay $320 for tuition and fees, unless you qualify for discounts. (See below.)
Students must be:
- At least 18 years old and have completed high school;
- Literate in their first language.
- If you don't have proof of MMR, print the Immunization Record Form and get at least one vaccine before you apply to the Part-Time: Community Program (Day or Evening). For more information about where to obtain the vaccines, please visit the Pima County Health Department website at PCHD Immunization Clinics, or go to your local drugstore.
- I-20s are not usually provided for this program. The only exception is for students who live south of the border. These students need to obtain a commuter visa and must apply for an I-20 in order to obtain the student visa in order to commute regularly between the U.S. and Mexico for the purpose of studying. There are additional costs associated with these immigration documents and you need to apply at least five weeks before the beginning of the program.
- Course offerings are contingent upon minimum enrollment.
- A Certificate of Participation from the University of Arizona's Center for English as A Second Language is awarded for each course successfully completed upon request and payment.
- The deadline to apply for the Summer 2018 session is Friday, June 8th at 5:00 pm (Arizona time) in CESL office 101 or online.
The payment can be made with cash, credit card, debit card, or check issued to "The University of Arizona". Total payment is $320 and includes:
- $ 270.00 per course (you can sign up and pay for up to 3 courses)
- $ 30.00 application fee
- $ 20.00 technology fee
- Early Bird Special: 10% off tuition (total of $ 293) if you apply and pay in full by Friday, May 4th at 5:00 pm (Arizona time) in person or online.
- UA Affiliate: University of Arizona students, scholars, members of the staff and faculty, as well as their direct relatives, receive 10% off tuition upon presentation of their CatCard the day before the first day of class.
- Discounts apply to tuition only and may not be combined.
3. Take placement test:
All new students, as well as students returning to take part-time classes after more than a year, need to take a Placement Exam before they start classes. Students can take the Placement Exam for the Summer 2018 session on June 6th, Wednesday or June7th , Thursday at 5:00 pm in the CESL lab located in room 210. (Map)
4. Get your score and level:
Shortly after you take the placement test, we will tell you your score and discuss which class is best for you.
5. Begin classes:
Classes will begin on Monday, June 11th, or Tuesday, June 12th , Tuesday at 3:00 pm or 6:00 pm depending on which class or classes you are taking.
6. Buy books if necessary:
The average cost is $55. However, some textbooks are used for more than one session and some classes don't require a textbook.
- Map: Click here
- Video: Click here
- Catalog of Courses Click Here
- Part-time Program Student Handbook: Click here