Intensive English Program (IEP)
- Superior English language instruction through a comprehensive curriculum
- Prepares students for academic and professional success
- Our English language classes serve the linguistic and professional development needs of The University of Arizona and the greater global community
- CESL promotes cultural and linguistic diversity and understanding through sensitivity, professionalism, and collaboration both on and off campus
- Flexible curriculum, as we understand that students learn in different ways and offer a variety of instructional methodologies to meet student learning styles
- Active classes which require intense student participation to improve individual language skills
Placement and Class Changes
- Daily schedule of 20-22.5 hours per week instruction (depending on level of placement) for each of five to seven levels of English ability, designated levels 10 through 70 (advanced).
- The number of levels will vary depending on student enrollment and need
- Classes may be scheduled any time between 8:00 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. daily
- Students must be available for class during this time
- Upon arrival at CESL, students take the placement test during orientation.
- Our students make rapid progress in a rigorous and challenging curriculum.
Many factors affect performance on the placement test; therefore, during the first 3 days of class all instructors perform further diagnostic evaluation and change students if necessary.
- Instructors may initiate a level change for new students if they believe a student has been placed above or below their ability level.
- Continuing students are placed based on their grades in the previous level, and in general do not change levels.
- Other reasons for class and level changes are handled on a case-by-case basis.
- CEA Accredited
- Sessions may begin in August, October, January, March, June, or July
- 8 levels
- 180 hours of instruction in two months
- 20-23 hours of instruction per week
- Students take placement test upon arrival
- Class size: 15-18
- Application fee $105
- Cost is $3056 for two months for tuition and fees
- Average number of enrolled students per session: 250
Our levels and what they mean
|Our levels||Corresponding Standardized Test Data*||What they mean|
|Level 10||No data (novice users)||Beginning|
|Level 20||No data (beginning users)|
|Level 30||430 PBT*, 38 iBT**, 56 MELAB**|
|Level 40||450 PBT, 44 iBT, 60 MELAB||Intermediate|
|Level 50||480 PBT, 54 iBT, 65 MELAB|
|Level 60||485 PBT, 57 iBT, 66 MELAB||Advanced|
|Level 70||505 PBT, 62 iBT, 70 MELAB|
|Pilot levels 80 & 90||505+PBT, 62+ iBT, 70+MELAB||Graduate-Bound and Students with or near Admission|
*The estimated score is based on the overall average scores of students taking ITP/PBT while in that level. Note: Average TOEFL ITP/PBT gains from level to level range from 9 to 36 per level. This data is not a guarantee of placement at CESL nor predictive of advancement, but is for illustrative purposes only.