Teacher Training Programs (TEFL)
CESL is proud to offer a range of programs to fit the needs of a diverse group of future English as a foreign language (EFL) teachers. Any person interested in teaching EFL abroad can take the classroom-based 100-hour Full TEFL certificate in the summer. Depending on a potential teacher’s plans or needs, one can also take the online route, taking the 50-hour Online Basic TEFL, the 20-hour onsite practicum, followed by the 50-hour Online Advanced TEFL certificate for a total of 120 hours of TEFL certificates. Click below on the Professional Certificate Details for an overview.
- Online Application
- Professional Certificate Details
- TEFL Brochure
- TEFL Job Board
- TEFL Mexico
- 100-hr Full TEFL (classroom-based)
- 50-hr Basic TEFL Online
- 50-hr Advanced TEFL Online
- 20-hr TEFL Practicum
- 30-hr Advanced Grammar for Teachers
- 30-hr Assessing English Language Learners
All applicants should:
- Have at least an Associate of Arts degree or international equivalent or 2 years of college-level coursework completed
- Be competent in written and spoken English (500 ITP/PBT, 61 iBT, 6.0 IELTS) and interview with coordinator
- Teaching experience (at least 2 years or 20-hour Practicum for the TEFL Online Advanced and Assessment courses)
- Be willing to work collaboratively
- Have access to a reliable internet connection for online certificates
Benefits of a TEFL Certificate
Benefits of earning a TEFL certificate include
- International job opportunities; see the world - travel and work. Most jobs require at least 100-hour TEFL certificate. See the links below.
- CESL courses are offered both online and in class; teachers will have flexibiltiy in scheduling training.
- Course work can be completed within four intensive weeks - including practicum.
- Follow-up, on-line community discussions are available to encourage continued professional development.
100-hour Full TEFL
The Full TEFL program is an intensive, classroom-based course intended for individuals who plan to teach English professionally and in a long-term capacity. It has been designed to meet the needs of both novice and experienced teachers by combining comprehensive foundational coursework in language acquisition theory, teaching methodology and assessment with advanced instructional techniques and curricular frameworks. Coursework includes EFL teaching theory, methods & strategies, classroom management, and both formal and informal language assessment. The program also includes an integrated 30-hour observational and guided classroom teaching practicum for hands-on experience to complement and guide classroom instruction.
For a 10% discount, apply and pay on or before May 14 for Summer 1 and June 12 for Summer 2.
50-Hour Basic TEFL Online
The Online Basic TEFL program is intended for individuals who plan to teach English in a short-term capacity. It has been designed to provide the essential foundations in language teaching theory, methodology and practical classroom application. The course combines asynchronous PowerPoint presentations, discussions, and application activities with synchronous chat forums and streaming video clips of authentic ESL teaching. This program can be complemented with an optional 20-hour observational and guided teaching practicum at the Center for ESL and completed with the 50-hour Online Advanced to total 120 hours of TEFL certificates.
For a 10% discount, apply and pay on or before: December 1 for Spring 1; July 1 for Fall 1; September 1 for Fall 2
- Spring 1: January 12 - March 9, 2013 online
- Fall 1: August 24 - October 17, 2013 online
- 50 hr TEFL Basic Curriculum
- 50 hr TEFL Online FAQ
50-Hour Advanced TEFL Online
The Online Advanced TEFL program is intended for in-service teachers with two or more years of experience or for those teachers who have completed the 50-hour Basic and are interested in getting more advanced coursework towards 120 total TEFL hours. This online course is designed to provide advanced coursework in instructional methods of the four skills and classroom management techniques. The course combines asynchronous PowerPoint presentations, discussions, and application activities with synchronous chat forums and streaming video clips of authentic ESL teaching. Note: Successful completion of this course for teachers with fewer than two years of teaching experience requires completion of the 20-hour practicum.
For a 10% discount, apply and pay on or before: February 1 for Spring 2; September 1 for Fall 2
- Spring 2: March 16 - May 9, 2013 online
- Fall 2: October 19 - December 12, 2013 online
- 50 hr TEFL Advanced Curriculum
- 50 hr TEFL Online FAQ
20-Hour TEFL Practicum
The 20-hour Practicum supplement can be added to any of our TEFL Certificate programs or simply taken alone as an independent component with approval of program coordinator. The practicum combines classroom observations and debriefings with supervised teaching practice at CESL or an approved affiliate institution. Teachers interested in this program will observe 17 hours of classroom instruction and teach or assist a teacher for 3 hours of mentored instruction. The student caps this off by turning in a teaching/observing self reflection, outlining what they have learned and how to apply that to what they do.
There are no discounts for this certificate.
30-Hour Advanced Grammar for Teachers
The 30-hour Advanced Grammar for Teachers TEFL course is an online course designed to both refresh teachers' knowledge of grammar and to provide ideas and methods for teaching it. The course is designed for in-service ESL/EFL teachers or for those who have completed the CESL 100-hour Full TEFL or the 120-hour program certificate. The modules are focused on specific forms, functions and use of the English language with practical applications of how to teach it. Trainees in this program are required to develop and present lesson plans incorporating the grammar and are assessed on them.
30-Hour Assessing English Language Learners
This 30-hour course is designed and targeted for English language teachers who wish to develop their assessment competence and skills in order to better measure and promote their students' English language abilities. The course will focus on the development of English language teachers; assessment literacy, which includes knowledge of key assessment principles and skill in creating or adopting assessment tools and procedures for the language classroom.
Additional English Language Training at CESL Individuals or groups wishing to supplement their own personal English language skills may enroll in 4-16-week intensive English classes at CESL prior to starting the TEFL certificate program. Group discounts are available.
- 100 hr TEFL: $1600 tuition + $50 application fee
- 50 hr TEFL Online Basic: $590 tuition + $50 application fee
- 50 hr TEFL Online Advanced: $590 tuition + $50 application fee
- 30 hr Advanced Grammar for Teachers: $350 tuition + $50 application fee
- 30 hr Assessing English Language Learners: $350 tuition + $50 application fee
- 20 hr Practicum: $400 tuition + $50 application fee
For refund and deferral policy, please click here.
For late registration on or after the first day of class, add 10% of tuition.
Note: that hours designated reflect contact time with instructor and do not include time spent on homework or other outside assignments. All courses run pending enrollment.
Teacher Development Links and Articles
What should I do to begin? click here
What qualifications do I need to teach? click here
How do I choose a TEFL training program? click here
What should I look for in a job abroad? click here
Where can I find a job? click here
University of Arizona Degree Programs
CESL's Resources for Teachers Links
Professional Advocacy http://capwiz.com/tesol/home/
Angel Steadman Miller, Teacher Training Coordinator
Phone: +1 (520) 626-8449